Waste & Recycling

News

Quebec places surcharge on residential waste

The Quebec government has announced a surcharge on residential and all commercial (IC&I) waste. The objective is to...


The Quebec government has announced a surcharge on residential and all commercial (IC&I) waste. The objective is to create a disincentive for disposal to get the province closer to its 60 per cent waste diversion target. This is a policy option that other provinces will monitor closely.

The announcement was made June 6, 2006 by the Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks. A $10 fee will be placed on all residual material disposed of at sanitary landfills, incinerators and dry-waste depots.

Monies raised will be used to support municipal efforts to reduce waste disposed, and the higher fee should act as a disincentive to disposal.

Facility owners will have five months to install weigh scales if quantities received are 20,000 tonnes/year or more. For smaller facilities, the installation period is three years.

The government will distribute 85 per cent of the funds back to municipalities and the remaining 15 per cent will be held back for priority activities regarding the management of residual materials.

Munincipalities will receive on average about $52.7 million per year. (Since some of those funds will come from municipalities that own landfills, their net gain will be $24.7 million.)

The objective of this funding is to move Quebec toward its 60 per cent diversion target as set out in Quebec’s 1998-2008 plan.


Print this page

Related Posts



Have your say:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*